LEarning and Information center
Vision, Mission and Objectives
The University of Mindanao – Learning and Information Center (UM-LIC) envisions as a premier center in the provision of instructional materials, research collections, outreach efforts and information services using the best technology available
As hub of intellectual inquiry provides resources and venue for creative dialogue, research, interdisciplinary pursuits and cultural activities that support scholarly endeavors of leaders in the society.
- Acquire and organize library materials, equipment and facilities to support teaching and research in the evolving subject areas of the curriculum;
- Enhance the information literacy of the library patron to ensure greater access and utilization of the resources;
- Conduct research activities that generate findings for the continuous reinvention of service excellence and respond creatively to the changing expectations and needs of the academe;
- Engage in staff development activities that will enable library staff to continuously improve services in an ever-changing information environment;
- Collaborate with libraries and other educational institutions outside of UM to strengthen resources and services available to students, faculty and staff;
- Develop library programs that uplift literacy and build learners reading culture in the community; and
- Organize literatures on Mindanao and the institution’s publications, memorabilia, artifacts, etc. for the preservation and conservation of cultural heritage reading materials.
Library operations concerned with the acquisition, organization and maintenance of the library collection
Handles the development of print and non-print collection of the LIC by selection, ordering and purchasing of library materials in cooperation with the faculty and staff of the university.
Centralized system that takes care of the organization of library materials through bibliographic description, classification and mechanical processing of library materials to facilitate access to all materials that the library holds and acquires. Responsible in the maintenance of the OPAC, KOHA LMS database, shelf-list, and union catalog of the LIC
Preservation and Conservation
Handles the maintenance of library materials through mending and repair. Preservation includes all activities associated with the maintenance of resources and preservation of information content. Conservation refers to the treatment of the physical items themselves in order to extend their usable life through binding and repair.
Abstracting and Indexing Service
Organizes information to make it more readily available and easily retrievable to users through abstracts and indexes.